The district of Weimar-Schöndorf is located in the northwest of the city of Weimar/Thuringia.
The Schöndorf district is located on the B 85 in the north of Weimar, between the large and small Ettersberg. The originally Slavic settlement was first documented in 1358 as "Schöndorf". Planned construction began after 1700 under Duke Wilhelm Ernst.
The district, which was incorporated in 1939, comprises three residential areas: the old town of Schöndorf, settlement and Waldstadt. The Catholic Church of St. Bonifacio was inaugurated in 1957 after two years of construction. In 1995, the Carmelite order settled on the site with a monastery. In 1964, the foundation stone was laid for the evangelical church of St. Stephen.
In Schöndorf there is a primary school and a regular school. The Classic Center, built in 1994, offers modern shopping facilities on 13,650 m². The largest employer is the JUL non-profit GmbH, with its modern training centers and children's facilities. Hotels located in Schöndorf benefit from the new bypass road for Weimar, which leads to the B 85.
Newly erected signposts show visitors the direction to archaeological monuments and hiking trails. The best-known is now the "Prinzenschneise" and the "Wilhelm-Ernst-Weg" from Schöndorf to Kromsdorf, the construction of which began in the summer of 2005. Magnificent views and romantic resting places are a magnet for visitors. In 2008, Schöndorf turned 650 Years and celebrated this anniversary with a festival week
History of the Onion Market – What started as a livestock and zippel market
History of the onion market The Weimar onion market began as a Viehe- und Zippelmarckt. The last part of this old German expression has been preserved in an adapted form as Zippelmarkt. In 2023 the onion market will celebrate its 370th anniversary. It can therefore be counted among the oldest folk festivals in the area. The event was first mentioned in 1653, when the residents of Weimar were stocking up on onions and vegetables for the winter.
Over the course of the 19th century, the Weimar onion market was extended to three days. It was celebrated from Saturday to Monday, with a break on Sunday. During this time frame, word of the event spread nationwide and has since been attended by citizens from all over Germany. A separate market regulation was issued in 1872.
Goethe had a strong connection to Weimar and also to the onion market and the onion itself. Onion spikes that he bought were attached to his desk. His house was also decorated with it. This is now explained by the positive effects of onions on health, which Goethe praised at the time.
In the GDR, the Weimar onion market was limited to one day. Nevertheless, during the GDR era, at least 120,000 visitors from the Republic came to the market day. It is still known from 1970 that 32,000 onion panicles were sold. This is 100 tons, some of which were actually sold out by the market that morning. Plans at the time to rename the onion market “Socialist Harvest Festival” failed.
With the end of the GDR in 1990, it was decided that the celebration would be extended again to three full days. The onion queen is chosen about two weeks before the market begins. A comprehensive stage program is performed and there are now over 300,000 visitors from all over Germany who enjoy the Weimar onion market.
Onion wrapping begins at the beginning of September. The panicles are small or extra long, but also sold in two colors. Weimar residents enjoy this attraction just as much as tourists. Over 100 stalls sell onion specialties. In total, the market has grown to 600 stalls. Here are some facts (approximate values / the numbers fluctuate a little every year):